1. INTRODUCTION AND GENERAL TERMS
In order to provide you with the full range of BBCW services, we are sometimes required to collect information about you.
- what information BBCW may collect about you;
- how BBCW will use information we collect about you;
- whether BBCW will disclose your details to anyone else;
- when BBCW may use your details to contact you;
- your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
Our websites may contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third-party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information which you submit or which is collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third-party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
2. WHAT INFORMATION WILL BBCW COLLECT ABOUT ME?
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from BBCW, such as newsletters, competitions, magazine subscriptions, ordering products, readers' offers, live chats, message boards, surveys or online registration we may ask for personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, e-mail address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth. Different services or webpages may ask for different personal information.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable BBCW and its service providers to provide you with the services you select.
Please note that sometimes on particular services (e.g. chat forums) you may be asked to provide or you may volunteer additional personal information and sometimes sensitive personal information (e.g. your political opinions, religious beliefs, sex life or health).
We may also use your IP address for some of our website services (please see our Cookies Policy).
3. HOW WILL BBCW USE THE INFORMATION THEY COLLECT ABOUT ME?
BBCW will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- for service administration purposes, which means that BBCW may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in section 5: When will BBCW contact me? below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to notify you of changes to our service;
- to contact you about a submission you have made to our websites or other publications, including any content you provide (follow the link to our Code of Conduct at the bottom of the main pages of our websites for more details about making online submissions);
to personalise or improve the way BBCW content and advertising is presented to you online:
- BBCW may collect your IP address (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet) and place cookies (see our Cookies Policy) for the purpose of improving our sites and enhancing your user experience, sometimes including the display of selected ads which are appropriate to your browsing pattern. This information is not used to develop a personal profile of you;
IP addresses may also be used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use;
to analyse and improve the services offered by a BBCW website, e.g. to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience;
to manage our competitions and contact the winners;
to meet product orders or requests for services or information; to process payments; and to keep our records up to date;
where you have specifically consented to be contacted for these purposes, to send you direct marketing by telephone, post or email about special offers and current or new products that you may be interested in;
to enable other people or businesses to carry out work on our behalf; and
where you have given us your permission, to pass your information to carefully selected organisations to allow them to tell you about their special offers or products and services that may be of interest to you.
Where BBCW proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for your use other than as listed above.
4. WILL BBCW SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH ANYONE ELSE?
Generally, we will only use your information within the BBC Worldwide Group of companies (including BBC Worldwide Group companies which are situated outside the European Economic Area ("EEA")) in order to provide the service/product you have requested. We will not pass your information to other members of the BBC Worldwide Group for marketing purposes unless you have consented to this.
We will only disclose your data to third-party data processors with your consent or where we need to do so in order to provide a service. The data processors to whom we may pass your data will be BBC Worldwide Group companies and appropriately contracted third parties. Otherwise, we will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described below in section 7: Offensive or inappropriate content on BBCW's websites.
BBCW will require all third-party data processors to whom your information is disclosed to comply strictly with its instructions and BBCW will require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
Where we share your information with BBC Worldwide Group and third-party companies which are situated outside the EEA we will ensure they treat your information with the same protection we do.
5. WHEN WILL BBCW CONTACT ME?
BBCW may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that BBCW can deliver the services to you;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to any BBCW website, message board or other service
- where you have opted to receive newsletters or other correspondence;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about BBCW services (participation is always voluntary);
- to carry out obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and BBCW; and
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see below in section 6: Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?).
Our websites and other publications will give you detailed information about how BBCW will contact you in relation to specific services.
6. WILL I BE CONTACTED FOR MARKETING PURPOSES?
BBCW won't contact you for marketing purposes, or promote new services to you unless you agree to be contacted for these purposes.
7. OFFENSIVE OR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT ON BBCW'S WEBSITES
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on a BBCW website, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour, BBCW may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where BBCW reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of the law (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), BBCW may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school e-mail/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
8. WHAT IF I AM A USER AGED 16 OR UNDER?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission before you provide personal information to BBCW. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
9. HOW LONG WILL BBCW KEEP MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with BBCW or BBCW's corporate retention schedule. If you wish to cancel your registration with any of BBCW's websites, you may do so by following the "unsubscribe" instructions on the relevant website. If you change your profile to opt-out of receiving communications, your record may stay on the system so we can ensure that we do not contact you in the future.
Where you contribute to a BBCW service or website, BBCW will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted.
10. CAN I FIND OUT WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION BBCW HOLDS ABOUT ME?
Under the Data Protection Act, you have the right to request a copy of the personal information BBCW holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved photographic identification.) We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
Head of Data Protection, BBC Worldwide Limited, Television Centre, 101 Wood Lane, London W12 7FA, United Kingdom
Last updated: May 2012